Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Artsy Kid

I know that all moms dote on their kids but as of late I've been noticing a change in my son Clyde's artistic abilities. He seems to have an eye for color and the things he draws are actually looking like what he says they are. I know that this happens to most 4-year-olds but this is MY 4-year-old .
Last week he told me that he wanted to make something for his new friend Lila. We had planned on making a frame because, well, this is what I do. We went to Hobby Lobby because I have only my glue stick and scissors here as art supplies. He picked out a wooden dinosaur for it and then began picking out papers. He even picked the puffy paint for her name. The only problem was that we couldn't find the frames we usually use so we settled on a jewelry box. This took a bit of discussing since he wanted to use a treasure chest that Lila herself would fit into. When we got home he tore the paper and told me where to glue everything... Sorry not letting the boy loose with glue in an apartment that contains some one elses furniture... This is what he came up with.Then there are the drawings. Every day it's something new. I bought him a spiral notebook and Grandma had given him some washable markers both of which he loves but his medium of choice
seems to be his travel size Magna-Doodle. (Think modernized etch-a-sketch.) The other day he showed me his fruit people, "Mr. Pear and Mr. Apple". He wasn't completely happy with the apple though because his arm ended up looking like a funny nose. I just couldn't believe that they actually looked like fruit.
And then of course there's PLANKTON. You may know him from Sponge Bob.

I always say that I don't care what my children do as long as it makes them happy but if Clyde should become an artist, either as a hobby or for a living, I'll do a secret little happy dance and then start living my life vicariously through him... Isn't that what every good mom is supposed to do? ;o)

6 comments:

Christina said...

I totally get your excitment, as I am beyond thrilled that Nadia's starting to draw recognizable things too! Sure, the arms come out of the head...but hey, at least they have arms. :o) His box is dino-mite!

Unknown said...

He is doing so great.....and kid's drawings are the best art ever!! I have almost all of the grandkids stuff they have been doing since they were very small, they love looking through it and I save it for future projects and use it some times. I know he loves his magna doodle but get him a big old pad of paper so mom can keep 'em.

Mary Lynn said...

I love your son's art! Tell him that I am an art teacher, and he is doing such a great job! He will make some art teacher very happy!

Citygirl.em said...

How sweet! I remember when my kids were little doing art. I love their little bulbous people with lines for legs and arms.

Here's an idea for you....for a little story art. Read the kids a story and afterwards, ask them to 'illustrate' a part from the story, be it a character or something that happened. It's fun to see what they come up with.

Enjoy your little ones. they do grow so fast. I just looked at old home videos a couple weeks ago and sat and cried, when I saw them little again. I had forgotten so many little things about how they were and what they looked like. I swear, I fell in love with my kids all over again. (They are now 21, 19, 17, 13 and 11)

I wish there were blogs when my kids were small. I would have probably done exactly what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

I only wish that I could draw as good as Clyde! They are awesome!

Cheryl said...

I would love to comment back to everyone individually but I'm not sure how to do it...