Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kindergarten


In one month my little boy starts kindergarten. He is very excited. I am too. I almost feel like a bad mom because I am so excited to have my son out of the house for 7 1/2 hours five days a week. I have my anxious moments but they are few. Clyde is a social kid who learns much better from other people than he does his mom. When I try to teach him something it's too hard and he can't remember things from one minute to the next. His pre-school teacher says he's a joy and ready to learn. Kudos to those of you who are able to successfully homeschool. I don't think I'm cut out for it.
I worry that when he gets to school people are going to expect more from him because he's a tall kid. I worry that he'll never learn to hold his pencil correctly. I worry that the other kids will learn to read and he'll still be trying to learn his letters. I worry that he'll get his feelings hurt.
On the plus side going down to one kid during the day sort of seems like a blessing. I may get something done. Maybe I'll be able to get some crafting done and get some stuff sold. Maybe I'll be able to keep the house clean... That's sort of a pipe dream. I know damn well that I am no Martha Stewart.
Either way we will be starting a new era. I think we're all ready for it. I just hope the school is!

No comments: