Saturday, July 4, 2009

Self

I'm trying to work on a project about SELF. Presumably, my SELF. I keep trying to figure out where to begin. I suppose the beginning is the best place.
I was born a poor black child... Oh wait, that's Steve Martin in the Jerk...
I was born in 1970. To 2 NON hippie parents. Both Mom and Dad grew up on farms. My mom in North Ridgeville, OH and my dad in Levant, ME.



Erv and Rita chose to raise their brood in Elyria, OH. I have four younger siblings, 2 brothers and 2 sisters, who all grew up together in a big house in a nice, middle class neighborhood.


We fought a lot as kids but were always together. We all had our own friends and were all involved in school activities. I was on the newspaper and in Drama Club. I was a Girl Scout all through high school. Yep, I'm pretty sure I was the only one in my district with blue hair and combat boots.
I was very fortunate to have parents who encouraged our individuality and yet instilled the fear of their wrath upon me. I've heard people say that parents should treat all of their children the same. I think they got it wrong. What I learned from my mom and dad is that you treat them all EQUALLY but not necessarily the SAME.
My parents are a ginormous part of who I am.
They are the ones who taught me to be myself and how to argue my point. They even taught me that it's ok for 'old' married couples to show affection to one another (no matter how embarrassing it was to me at the age of 14).
My husband likes to say that my family's biggest DYSFUNCTION is that we're overly functional.
I hope that that runs over into my adult life (even if it does require medication to smooth the process along).
So thanks Mom and Dad!

You can go to http://www.creativeeverday.com to see and find out more.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Sounds like a wonderful upbringing! How lovely that your parents encouraged your individuality. That's so important. Loved the pics and learning more about you!