Monday, January 18, 2010

So I do stuff. I make things. I get all excited about an endeavour and then let it fall to the wayside. I make excuses. I move on to something new. I'm a bit of a flake when it comes to this stuff.
For example: I got ALL excited about becoming a professional crafter. I made things. Heck, I even sold things! I was happy. I love to get messy. Paper and glue are so much fun to play with. It's a true outlet for me. Then it happened... I applied for a HUGE craft fair. I was so excited. I got ahead of myself planning on all of the stuff I was going to make for it. The day of the acceptance emails came. I got on-line. I saw the sender. My heart fluttered a little. Here it was. I hesitated KNOWING that it could be a negative response but surely not. I'd had such positive feedback from so many people. Alas, I...was... REJECTED. Well, I was put on the waiting list if some one else fell through. I was devestated. Frustrated. Heartbroken.
I convinced myself that all the other positive feedback I got was just people being polite. It really took the wind out of my sails. I've since gotten over it but have yet to get back that zest for crafting that I had before. I'm working on it. I've got some projects lined up. I'm also hoping to get into the Farmers Market in Bloomington IL with my friend Lauren.
I am nervous. Afraid that I will hold Lauren back. Afraid that I WILL get in and then not sell ANYTHING.
I know that this is like falling off a horse. You just have to get back up and try again. I think that will be one of my resolutions. To stick to it. Not let one rejection (or 2) get me down. DO what I love and what makes me happy regardless of what a couple of people may think. I know from personal experience that this is going to take some focus on my part. It ain't gonna be easy but I'm going to try.

2 comments:

Christina said...

"I convinced myself that all the other positive feedback I got was just people being polite." - that resonates with me so much. YES! You've got what it takes Cheryl - but it takes a lot of work and patience and time to "make it." A few lucky people are "discovered" and are rocketed to stardom overnight....the rest of us struggle every step of the way!

MagicMarkingsArt said...

I have gotten plenty of rejection letters, it just made me try harder, refine my process, and try again. It sometimes has nothing to do with your craft, just what the jury was looking for at that particular time. Keep on trying and don't let this interfere with your passion!!
Best of luck to you.