Monday, January 25, 2010

When I grow up...

When I grow up I wanna be a... A.... Hmmm... Well, let's see..
OK so I can't quite figure out WHAT I want to do with my life. Every time I think I know I come up with something new. I seem to have no focus.
I really enjoy making things. I could see myself doing that for a living. I would love to hang out at craft fairs every weekend and have a successful on-line shop. I'd also love to have my own craft show on HGTV or something.
I also love taking pictures. I always have. I got my first camera when I was like 7 or something. I even went to Ohio State for Photography for a while. My true passion was art photography. Unfortunately, weddings seem to be where the money is at and I am not a big fan of wedding photography.
Writing is another passion. I still remember the short story contests we used to have in Mrs. Dennis' third grade class at Ely Elementary. I wrote one once about an old mattress that had become a mouse hotel. It won. I've taken several creative writing classes and have a book that I've been working on for more than a few years now. There is even a whole novel sitting in a drawer somewhere around here that I wrote when I was 18. It's really bad.
I enjoy working with kids. I don't know if I could deal with them in a structured environment for several hours a day every day but they're fun.
I can't make any decisions. I'm actually working through the book 'What Color is Your Parachute' book to see if that helps. So far there has been no real surprises in anything I've found.
I'm considering going back to school for Graphic Design. My thinking on this is that I can use my artsy fartsy capabilities towards something that may actually help me get a real job. A career even. Even just reading about it makes me nervous though. I'm not sure if I'm cut out for school. I've been out of that world for a LONG time.
Another possibility is that, over the summer, I find out that I CAN make some money doing my crafts. That would be wonderful. Of course that would mean I'd have to get organized and develop some time management skills. Both of these things are a bit weak for me.
If I ever get my book finished I can start the process of getting my rejection letters. Maybe, just maybe, some one will bite. It may also turn out that once I get this first one out of my head there's another even better one waiting to come out. Who knows?

Have you figured out what your true passion is? How have you done it? How many shots did it take? Help me out here... I'll take ANY advice and/or suggestions.


3 comments:

Christina said...

I don't know if we EVER really and truly answer that question! I've decided to go for nursing because it makes sense - I think I will enjoy the work, and it's a sensible way to support myself that will fit into the lifestyle I want. But still - there's a part of me that longs for photography too!

Cheryl said...

I wish I was one of those people that would just KNOW.

Tory said...

who ARE those people that just know? I honestly think you have to live life a bit and see things before you can decide, for the most part. Then there are the things that you want to do that aren't really career worthy, so you do the dreaded "have to job" that pays and doesn't suck too bad in order to afford to do what you want on your off time. Again - i am no help, huh? haha